Still need a new years resolution for 2015? How about ‘Write to the missionaries I know’?
As you’re probably aware, 2015 has started. And if you’re like me, you’ve been left a little bit in its wake. Maybe you had some resolutions planned for the new year and you’re now trying to catch up on five days of not practicing the piano. Or maybe you’re still trying to think of some resolutions that are possible and worthwhile. Or possibly you gave up on the whole resolution thing a few years back.
Whatever the case, I humbly suggest something to add to your list:
‘Write to the missionaries I know.’
I’m going to be writing about this a bit more in the coming weeks/months (in fact, I have the sense that it’s going to become one of the main topics I focus my writing on this year) so stay tuned for more ideas on the who, why, how, what, etc of writing to missionary folk.
But for now here’s a few reasons (there’s certainly more than these!) why you should make ‘write to the missionaries I know’ a resolution for 2015.
- We really love it when we get mail that is written in a language we can read and by an actual person we know.
- You can do it in 20 minutes and tick it off your list. Bosh, the year is off to a great start!
- I’m pretty certain that are some folk who gave up on their mission who would have kept going if people had written to them.
- It’ll be fun. Honestly. Did you ever have a pen-friend when you were at school? Remember how cool that was? You can relive that experience! And if you missed out on writing to some kid that you didn’t really know living in a country that you knew nothing about when you were eight . . . well, then this is your chance.
- This way you’ll have at least one resolution that doesn’t terminate on just making your life better, which, if we’re honest, is what most resolutions are about (not that I’m opposed to enriching our own lives, but I do believe the way we most enrich our lives is by enriching the lives of others).
- If you write actual letters, rather than e-mail, then you get the bonus point of improving your handwriting.
So there you go, a resolution for 2015 that you can do today.
And yes, since you ask, my resolution for this year is to write to the folk that support me.